What We Do
Plateau State Internal Revenue Service (PSIRS) is the major revenue generating Agency of the State saddled with the responsibility of collecting all forms of taxes within its jurisdiction. Over the years PSIRS has increased the State’s Internally Generated Revenue (IGR) by executing and implementing strategies which have impacted positively on revenue generation and collection, with the IGR growing steadily thereby augmenting what the state is receiving from the federal account.
To make tax assessment and payment convenient for tax payers, PSIRS established mini tax offices in over 15 locations across the state and all the offices are in operation. Furthermore, PSIRS is strongly advising her esteem taxpayers to explore the self-assessment option of assessment in order to enjoy the 1% waver. The essence is:
- To encourage taxpayers to come forward and submit themselves for taxation.
- To reduce the high incidence of tax evasion by this group of taxpayers.
- To encourage taxpayer completing the self-assessment which they are entitled to a bonus of 1percent i.e. the tax payable shall be 1% less the actual tax computed.
The Board came into existence as a Department known as Revenue Unit under the Ministry of Finance when Benue-Plateau was carved out of Northern Nigeria, with a Director and Support staff.
In 1987 the first Edict was signed into law by the then Military Administrator, Col. Lawrence Onoja with nine (9) Board members. In 1992, the name was changed to Revenue Commission by the then Governor, Sir Fidelis Tapgun.
Another law was enacted in 1995 by Col. Mohammed Manna known as Board of Internal Revenue Edict 1995.
This status continued till 2009 when a law was promulgated known as "Plateau State Internal Revenue Service" by the Dr. Jonah Jang administration with the following composition:
- Executive Chairman of the service who also doubles as the chairman of the Board members.
- Two Permanent Members.
- Eight Departments namely
- Administration and personnel management
- Personal income tax (Direct Assessment)
- Personal income tax (Pay as you earn)
- Finance and Supplies
- Other taxes
- Collection, Accounting and Planning
- Motor vehicle administration
- Tax Audit, monitoring and investigation
- Units, namely
- Legal unit
- Internal audit
- Planning research and statistics
- Management information system (MIS)
- Customer care unit
- Information and protocol
- Enforcement unit